Assists in operations, under the supervision of surgeons, registered nurses, or other surgical personnel. May help set up operating room, prepare and transport patients for surgery, adjust lights and equipment, pass instruments and other supplies to surgeons and surgeon's assistants, hold retractors, cut sutures, and help count sponges, needles, supplies, and instruments.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Maintains a proper sterile field during surgical procedures.
- Counts sponges, needles, and instruments before and after operation.
- Scrubs arms and hands and assists the surgical team to scrub and put on gloves, masks, and surgical clothing.
- Prepares patients for surgery, including positioning patients on the operating table and covering them with sterile surgical drapes to prevent exposure.
- Provides technical assistance to surgeons, surgical nurses, or anesthesiologists.
- Hands instruments and supplies to surgeons and surgeons' assistants, holds retractors and cuts sutures, and performs other tasks as directed by surgeon during operation.
- Prepares, cares for, and disposes of tissue specimens taken for laboratory analysis.
- Washes and sterilizes equipment, using germicides and sterilizers.
- Monitors and continually assesses operating room conditions, including patient and surgical team needs.
- Operates, assembles, adjusts, or monitors sterilizers, lights, suction machines, or diagnostic equipment to ensure proper operation.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.