Prepares and cooks large quantities of food for institutions, such as schools, hospitals, or cafeterias.
This career is part of the Hospitality & Tourism cluster Restaurants, Food and Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Cleans, cuts, and cooks meat, fish, or poultry.
- Cooks foodstuffs according to menus, special dietary or nutritional restrictions, or numbers of portions to be served.
- Cleans and inspects galley equipment, kitchen appliances, and work areas to ensure cleanliness and functional operation.
- Apportions and serves food to facility residents, employees, or patrons.
- Directs activities of one or more workers who assist in preparing and serving meals.
- Washes pots, pans, dishes, utensils, and other cooking equipment.
- Compiles and maintains records of food use and expenditures.
- Takes inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Bakes breads, rolls, and other pastries.
- Trains new employees.