Applies knowledge of engineering technology and biological science to agricultural problems concerned with power and machinery; electrification; structures; soil and water conservation; and processing of agricultural products.
This career is part of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics cluster Science, Technology, Engineering and Math pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares reports, sketches, working drawings, specifications, proposals, and budgets for proposed sites or systems.
- Provides advice on water quality and issues related to pollution management, river control, and ground and surface water resources.
- Designs and supervises environmental and land reclamation projects in agriculture and related industries.
- Designs agricultural machinery components and equipment, using computer-aided design (CAD) technology.
- Discusses plans with clients, contractors, consultants, and other engineers so that they can be evaluated and necessary changes made.
- Designs food processing plants and related mechanical systems.
- Plans and directs construction of rural electric-power distribution systems, and irrigation, drainage, and flood control systems for soil and water conservation.
- Supervises food processing or manufacturing plant operations.
- Designs structures for crop storage, animal shelter and loading, and animal and crop processing, and supervise their construction.
- Tests agricultural machinery and equipment to ensure adequate performance.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.