Operates steam, gas, electric motor, or internal combustion engine driven compressors. Transmits, compresses, or recovers gases, such as butane, nitrogen, hydrogen, and natural gas.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Monitors meters and pressure gauges to determine consumption rate variations, temperatures, and pressures.
- Responds to problems by adjusting control room equipment or instructing other personnel to adjust equipment at problem locations or in other control areas.
- Adjusts valves and equipment to obtain specified performance.
- Records instrument readings and operational changes in operating logs.
- Moves controls and turns valves to start compressor engines, pumps, and auxiliary equipment.
- Operates power-driven pumps that transfer liquids, semi-liquids, gases, or powdered materials.
- Submits daily reports on facility operations.
- Takes samples of gases and conducts chemical tests to determine gas quality and sulfur or moisture content, or sends samples to laboratories for analysis.
- Reads gas meters, and maintains records of the amounts of gas received and dispensed from holders.
- Turns knobs or switches to regulate pressures.