Operates steam, gas, electric motor, or internal combustion engine driven compressors. Transmits, compresses, or recovers gases, such as butane, nitrogen, hydrogen, and natural gas.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Monitors meters and pressure gauges to determine consumption rate variations, temperatures, and pressures.
- Adjusts valves and equipment to obtain specified performance.
- Reads gas meters, and maintains records of the amounts of gas received and dispensed from holders.
- Operates power-driven pumps that transfer liquids, semi-liquids, gases, or powdered materials.
- Records instrument readings and operational changes in operating logs.
- Turns knobs or switches to regulate pressures.
- Moves controls and turns valves to start compressor engines, pumps, and auxiliary equipment.
- Responds to problems by adjusting control room equipment or instructing other personnel to adjust equipment at problem locations or in other control areas.
- Takes samples of gases and conducts chemical tests to determine gas quality and sulfur or moisture content, or sends samples to laboratories for analysis.
- Cleans, lubricates, and adjusts equipment, and replaces filters and gaskets, using hand tools.