Supervises the safety and rescue of swimmers, surfers and other water sports participants such as in a swimming pool, water park, or beach.
This career is part of the Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security cluster Security and Protective Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Examines injured persons and administers first aid or cardiopulmonary resuscitation, if necessary, using training and medical supplies and equipment.
- Contacts emergency medical personnel in case of serious injury.
- Rescues distressed persons, using rescue techniques and equipment.
- Instructs participants in skiing, swimming, or other recreational activities and provides safety precaution information.
- Patrols or monitors recreational areas such as trails, slopes, and swimming areas, on foot, in vehicles, or from towers.
- Completes and maintains records of weather and beach conditions, emergency medical treatments performed, and other relevant incident information.
- Maintains quality of pool water by testing chemical levels.
- Warns recreational participants of inclement weather, unsafe areas, or illegal conduct.
- Observes activities in assigned areas, using binoculars, to detect hazards, disturbances, or safety infractions.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.