Plans, directs, or coordinates the management or operation of farms, ranches, greenhouses, aquacultural operations, nurseries, timber tracts, or other agricultural establishments. May hire, train, or supervise farm workers or contract for services to carry out the day-to-day activities of the managed operation. May engage in or supervise planting, cultivating, harvesting, financial, or marketing activities.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Animal Science pathway, Plant Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects orchards or fields to determine crop maturity or condition or to detect disease or insect infestation.
- Directs crop production operations, such as planning, tilling, planting, fertilizing, cultivating, spraying, or harvesting.
- Monitors activities such as irrigation, chemical application, harvesting, milking, breeding, or grading to ensure adherence to safety regulations or standards.
- Plans crop activities based on factors such as crop maturity or weather conditions.
- Maintains financial, operational, production, or employment records for farms or ranches.
- Directs the breeding or raising of stock, such as cattle, poultry, or honeybees, using recognized breeding practices to ensure stock improvement.
- Obtains financing necessary for purchases of machinery, land, supplies, or livestock.
- Inspects farm or ranch equipment to ensure proper functioning.
- Negotiates with buyers for the sale, storage, or shipment of crops or livestock.
- Analyzes soil to determine types or quantities of fertilizer required for maximum crop production.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.