Operates or tends machines to prepare industrial or consumer products for storage or shipment. Includes cannery workers who pack food products.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Logistics and Inventory Control pathway, Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Sorts, grades, weighs, and inspects products, verifying and adjusting product weight or measurement to meet specifications.
- Observes machine operations to ensure quality and conformity of filled or packaged products to standards.
- Attaches identification labels to finished packaged items, or cut stencils and stencil information on containers, such as lot numbers or shipping destinations.
- Monitors the production line, watching for problems such as pile-ups, jams, or glue that isn't sticking properly.
- Stocks and sorts product for packaging or filling machine operation, and replenishes packaging supplies, such as wrapping paper, plastic sheet, boxes, cartons, glue, ink, or labels.
- Packages the product in the form in which it will be sent out, for example, filling bags with flour from a chute or spout.
- Inspects and removes defective products and packaging material.
- Starts machine by engaging controls.
- Removes finished packaged items from machine and separates rejected items.
- Counts and records finished and rejected packaged items.