Plans, directs or coordinates medicine and health services in hospitals, clinics, managed care organizations, public health agencies, or similar organizations.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Health Informatics pathway.
A person in this career:
- Conducts and administers fiscal operations, including accounting, planning budgets, authorizing expenditures, establishing rates for services, and coordinating financial reporting.
- Directs, supervises and evaluates work activities of medical, nursing, technical, clerical, service, maintenance, and other personnel.
- Maintains communication between governing boards, medical staff, and department heads by attending board meetings and coordinating interdepartmental functioning.
- Reviews and analyzes facility activities and data to aid planning and cash and risk management and to improve service utilization.
- Plans, implements and administers programs and services in a health care or medical facility, including personnel administration, training, and coordination of medical, nursing and physical plant staff.
- Directs or conducts recruitment, hiring and training of personnel.
- Establishes work schedules and assignments for staff, according to workload, space and equipment availability.
- Maintains awareness of advances in medicine, computerized diagnostic and treatment equipment, data processing technology, government regulations, health insurance changes, and financing options.
- Monitors the use of diagnostic services, inpatient beds, facilities, and staff to ensure effective use of resources and assess the need for additional staff, equipment, and services.
- Develops and maintains computerized record management systems to store and process data such as personnel activities and information, and to produce reports.