Designs core features of video games. Specifies innovative game and role-play mechanics, story lines, and character biographies. Creates and maintains design documentation. Guides and collaborates with production staff to produce games as designed.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Interactive Media pathway.
A person in this career:
- Balances and adjusts gameplay experiences to ensure the critical and commercial success of the product.
- Provides feedback to designers and other colleagues regarding game design features.
- Creates core game features including storylines, role-play mechanics, and character biographies for a new video game or game franchise.
- Devises missions, challenges, or puzzles to be encountered in game play.
- Guides design discussions between development teams.
- Develops and maintains design level documentation, including mechanics, guidelines, and mission outlines.
- Creates and manages documentation, production schedules, prototyping goals, and communication plans in collaboration with production staff.
- Presents new game design concepts to management and technical colleagues, including artists, animators, and programmers.
- Conducts regular design reviews throughout the game development process.
- Solicits, obtains, and integrates feedback from design and technical staff into original game design.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.