Provides advanced nursing care and education to obstetrical and gynecological patients.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Monitors fetal development by listening to fetal heartbeat, taking external uterine measurements, identifying fetal position, or estimating fetal size and weight.
- Initiates emergency interventions to stabilize patients.
- Provides prenatal, intrapartum, postpartum, or newborn care to patients.
- Explains procedures to patients, family members, staff members or others.
- Develops and implements individualized plans for health care management.
- Orders and interprets diagnostic or laboratory tests.
- Educates patients and family members regarding prenatal, intrapartum, postpartum, newborn, or interconceptional care.
- Documents patients' health histories, symptoms, physical conditions, or other diagnostic information.
- Documents findings of physical examinations.
- Writes information in medical records or provides narrative summaries to communicate patient information to other health care providers.