Performs administrative and certain clinical duties under the direction of a physician. Administrative duties may include scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, billing, and coding information for insurance purposes. Clinical duties may include taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination, drawing blood, and administering medications as directed by physician.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Health Informatics pathway, Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Records patients' medical history, vital statistics, or information such as test results in medical records.
- Interviews patients to obtain medical information and measures their vital signs, weight, and height.
- Prepares treatment rooms for patient examinations, keeping the rooms neat and clean.
- Shows patients to examination rooms and prepares them for the physician.
- Prepares and administers medications as directed by a physician.
- Collects blood, tissue, or other laboratory specimens, logs the specimens, and prepares them for testing.
- Authorizes drug refills and provides prescription information to pharmacies.
- Explains treatment procedures, medications, diets, or physicians' instructions to patients.
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments and disposes of contaminated supplies.
- Performs routine laboratory tests and sample analyses.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.