Constructs, assembles, or rebuilds machines, such as engines, turbines, and similar equipment used in such industries as construction, extraction, textiles, and paper manufacturing.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Maintenance, Installation and Repair pathway, Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Reads and interprets assembly blueprints or specifications manuals and plans assembly or building operations.
- Inspects, operates, and tests completed products to verify functioning, machine capabilities, or conformance to customer specifications.
- Positions or aligns components for assembly, manually or using hoists.
- Sets and verifies parts clearances.
- Verifies conformance of parts to stock lists or blueprints, using measuring instruments, such as calipers, gauges, or micrometers.
- Fastens or installs piping, fixtures, or wiring and electrical components to form assemblies or subassemblies, using hand tools, rivet guns, or welding equipment.
- Removes rough spots and smoothes surfaces to fit, trim, or clean parts, using hand tools or power tools.
- Lays out and drills, reams, taps, or cuts parts for assembly.
- Reworks, repairs, or replaces damaged parts or assemblies.
- Assembles systems of gears by aligning and meshing gears in gearboxes.