Provides skin care treatments to face and body to enhance an individual's appearance.
This career is part of the Human Services cluster Personal Care Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Sterilizes equipment and cleans work areas.
- Examines clients' skin, using magnifying lamps or visors when necessary, to evaluate skin condition and appearance.
- Cleanses clients' skin with water, creams, or lotions.
- Demonstrates how to clean and care for skin properly and recommends skin-care regimens.
- Selects and applies cosmetic products such as creams, lotions, and tonics.
- Performs simple extractions to remove blackheads.
- Stays abreast of latest industry trends, products, research, and treatments.
- Determines which products or colors will improve clients' skin quality and appearance.
- Treats the facial skin to maintain and improve its appearance, using specialized techniques and products, such as peels and masks.
- Refers clients to medical personnel for treatment of serious skin problems.