Prepares detailed working diagrams of machinery and mechanical devices, including dimensions, fastening methods, and other engineering information.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Design and Pre-Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Develops detailed design drawings and specifications for mechanical equipment, dies, tools, and controls, using computer-assisted drafting (CAD) equipment.
- Produces three-dimensional models, using computer-aided design (CAD) software.
- Lays out and draws schematic, orthographic, or angle views to depict functional relationships of components, assemblies, systems, and machines.
- Modifies and revises designs to correct operating deficiencies or to reduce production problems.
- Reviews and analyzes specifications, sketches, drawings, ideas, and related data to assess factors affecting component designs and the procedures and instructions to be followed.
- Checks dimensions of materials to be used and assigns numbers to the materials.
- Designs scale or full-size blueprints of specialty items such as furniture and automobile body or chassis components.
- Computes mathematical formulas to develop and design detailed specifications for components or machinery, using computer-assisted equipment.
- Coordinates with and consults other workers to design, lay out, or detail components and systems and to resolve design or other problems.
- Confers with customer representatives to review schematics and answers questions pertaining to installation of systems.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.