Determines tax liability or collects taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
This career is part of the Finance cluster Corporate Finance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Collects taxes according to laws and regulations.
- Maintains knowledge of tax code changes, and accounting procedures to properly evaluate financial information.
- Maintains tax records for each case.
- Conducts field audits and investigates income tax returns to verify or amend tax liabilities.
- Selects appropriate courses of action to resolve tax issues, such as partial payment agreement or seizure and sale of property.
- Notifies taxpayers of refund or request for further payment.
- Imposes deadlines and monitors payments on delinquent accounts.
- Checks tax forms to verify that information is correct.
- Answers questions from taxpayers and assists them in completing tax forms.