Analyzes, designs, tests and evaluates network systems, such as local area networks (LAN), wide area networks (WAN), Internet, intranet, and other data communications systems. Performs network modeling, analysis, and planning. Researches and recommends network and data communications hardware and software. Includes telecommunications specialists who deal with the interfacing of computer and communications equipment. May supervise computer programmers.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Information Support and Services pathway, Network Systems pathway, Programming and Software Engineering pathway.
A person in this career:
- Adjusts network sizes to meet volume or capacity demands.
- Communicates with customers, sales staff, or marketing staff to determine customer needs.
- Communicates with system users to ensure accounts are set up properly or to diagnose and solve operational problems.
- Coordinates installation of new equipment.
- Coordinates network operations, maintenance, repairs, or upgrades.
- Coordinates network or design activities with designers of associated networks.
- Designs, builds, or operates equipment configuration prototypes, including network hardware, software, servers, or server operation systems.
- Designs, organizes, and delivers product awareness, skills transfer, or product education sessions for staff or suppliers.
- Determines specific network hardware or software requirements, such as platforms, interfaces, bandwidths, or routine schemas.
- Develops and implements solutions for network problems.