Converts project specifications and statements of problems and procedures to detailed logical flow charts for coding into computer language. Develops and writes computer programs to store, locate and retrieve specific documents, data and information. May program websites.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Programming and Software Engineering pathway.
A person in this career:
- Corrects errors by making appropriate changes and rechecking the program to ensure that the desired results are produced.
- Conducts trial runs of programs and software applications to be sure they will produce the desired information and that the instructions are correct.
- Writes, updates, and maintains computer programs or software packages to handle specific jobs such as tracking inventory, storing or retrieving data, or controlling other equipment.
- Writes, analyzes, reviews, and rewrites programs, using workflow chart and diagram, and applying knowledge of computer capabilities, subject matter, and symbolic logic.
- Performs or directs revision, repair, or expansion of existing programs to increase operating efficiency or adapt to new requirements.
- Consults with managerial, engineering, and technical personnel to clarify program intent, identify problems, and suggest changes.
- Performs systems analysis and programming tasks to maintain and control the use of computer systems software as a systems programmer.
- Compiles and writes documentation of program development and subsequent revisions, inserting comments in the coded instructions so others can understand the program.
- Prepares detailed workflow charts and diagrams that describe input, output, and logical operation, and converts them into a series of instructions coded in a computer language.
- Consults with and assists computer operators or system analysts to define and resolve problems in running computer programs.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.