Performs therapeutic massages of soft tissues and joints. May assist in the assessment of range of motion and muscle strength, or propose client therapy plans.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Massages and kneads muscles and soft tissues of the body to provide treatment for medical conditions, injuries, or wellness maintenance.
- Confers with clients about their medical histories and problems with stress or pain to determine how massage will be most helpful.
- Applies finger and hand pressure to specific points of the body.
- Maintains treatment records.
- Assesses clients' soft tissue condition, joint quality and function, muscle strength, and range of motion.
- Treats clients in professional settings or travel to clients' offices and homes.
- Provides clients with guidance and information about techniques for postural improvement and stretching, strengthening, relaxation, and rehabilitative exercises.
- Develops and proposes client treatment plans that specify which types of massage are to be used.
- Refers clients to other types of therapists when necessary.
- Consults with other health care professionals, such as physiotherapists, chiropractors, physicians, and psychologists, to develop treatment plans for clients.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.