Sets up, operates, or tends machines to crush, grind, or polish materials, such as coal, glass, grain, stone, food, or rubber.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Reads work orders to determine production specifications and information.
- Observes operation of equipment to ensure continuity of flow, safety, and efficient operation, and to detect malfunctions.
- Moves controls to start, stop, or adjust machinery and equipment that crushes, grinds, polishes, or blends materials.
- Records data from operations, testing, and production on specified forms.
- Examines materials, ingredients, or products, visually or with hands, to ensure conformance to established standards.
- Weighs or measures materials, ingredients, or products at specified intervals to ensure conformance to requirements.
- Cleans, adjusts and maintains equipment, using hand tools.
- Notifies supervisors of needed repairs.
- Sets mill gauges to specified fineness of grind.
- Rejects defective products and readjusts equipment to eliminate problems.