Provides beauty services, such as shampooing, cutting, coloring, and styling hair, and massaging and treating scalp. May apply makeup, dress wigs, perform hair removal, and provide nail and skin care services.
This career is part of the Human Services cluster Personal Care Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Keeps work stations clean and sanitizes tools such as scissors and combs.
- Cuts, trims and shapes hair or hairpieces, based on customers' instructions, hair type and facial features, using clippers, scissors, trimmers and razors.
- Analyzes patrons' hair and other physical features to determine and recommend beauty treatment or suggest hair styles.
- Schedules client appointments.
- Bleaches, dyes, or tints hair, using applicator or brush.
- Updates and maintains customer information records, such as beauty services provided.
- Shampoos, rinses, conditions and dries hair and scalp or hairpieces with water, liquid soap, or other solutions.
- Operates cash registers to receive payments from patrons.
- Demonstrates and sells hair care products and cosmetics.
- Develops new styles and techniques.