Plans, directs, or coordinates the work activities and resources necessary for manufacturing products in accordance with cost, quality, and quantity specifications.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production/Process Technology pathway.
A person in this career:
- Reviews processing schedules or production orders to make decisions concerning inventory requirements, staffing requirements, work procedures, or duty assignments, considering budgetary limitations and time constraints.
- Develops or implements production tracking or quality control systems, analyzing production, quality control, maintenance, or other operational reports, to detect production problems.
- Directs or coordinates production, processing, distribution, or marketing activities of industrial organizations.
- Reviews operations and confers with technical or administrative staff to resolve production or processing problems.
- Hires, trains, evaluates, or discharges staff or resolves personnel grievances.
- Prepares and maintains production reports or personnel records.
- Sets and monitors product standards, examining samples of raw products or directing testing during processing, to ensure finished products are of prescribed quality.
- Develops budgets or approves expenditures for supplies, materials, or human resources, ensuring that materials, labor, or equipment are used efficiently to meet production targets.
- Initiates or coordinates inventory or cost control programs.
- Coordinates or recommends procedures for facility or equipment maintenance or modification, including the replacement of machines.