Files correspondence, cards, invoices, receipts, and other records in alphabetical or numerical order or according to the filing system used. Locates and removes material from files when requested.
This career is part of the Management and Administration cluster Administrative Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Scans or reads incoming materials to determine how and where they should be classified or filed.
- Inputs data, such as file numbers, new or updated information, or documents information codes into computer systems to support document and information retrieval.
- Performs general office activities, such as typing, answering telephones, operating office machines, processing mail, or securing confidential materials.
- Sorts or classifies information according to guidelines, such as content, purpose, user criteria, or chronological, alphabetical, or numerical order.
- Answers questions about records or files.
- Keeps records of materials filed or removed, using logbooks or computers and generates computerized reports.
- Adds new material to file records or creates new records as necessary.
- Gathers materials to be filed from departments or employees.
- Finds, retrieves, and makes copies of information from files in response to requests and delivers information to authorized users.
- Tracks materials removed from files to ensure that borrowed files are returned.