Protects and polices railroad and transit property, employees, or passengers.
This career is part of the Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security cluster Law Enforcement Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares reports documenting investigation activities and results.
- Monitors transit areas and conducts security checks to protect railroad properties, patrons, and employees.
- Apprehends or removes trespassers or thieves from railroad property or coordinates with law enforcement agencies in apprehensions and removals.
- Directs security activities at derailments, fires, floods, or strikes involving railroad property.
- Patrols railroad yards, cars, stations, or other facilities to protect company property or shipments and to maintain order.
- Investigates or directs investigations of freight theft, suspicious damage or loss of passengers' valuables, or other crimes on railroad property.
- Examines credentials of unauthorized persons attempting to enter secured areas.
- Enforces traffic laws regarding the transit system and reprimands individuals who violate them.
- Provide training to the public or law enforcement personnel in railroad safety or security.
- Plans or implements special safety or preventive programs, such as fire or accident prevention.