Plans, coordinates and implements security measures for information systems to regulate access to computer data files and prevent unauthorized modification, destruction or disclosure of information.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Information Support and Services pathway, Network Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Encrypts data transmissions and erects firewalls to conceal confidential information as it is being transmitted and to keep out tainted digital transfers.
- Develops plans to safeguard computer files against accidental or unauthorized modification, destruction, or disclosure and to meet emergency data processing needs.
- Reviews violations of computer security procedures and discusses procedures with violators to ensure violations are not repeated.
- Monitors use of data files and regulates access to safeguard information in computer files.
- Monitors current reports of computer viruses to determine when to update virus protection systems.
- Modifies computer security files to incorporate new software, correct errors, or change individual access status.
- Performs risk assessments and executes tests of data processing system to ensure functioning of data processing activities and security measures.
- Trains users and promotes security awareness to ensure system security and to improve server and network efficiency.
- Confers with users to discuss issues such as computer data access needs, security violations, and programming changes.
- Coordinates implementation of computer system plan with establishment personnel and outside vendors.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.