Develops, maintains, or implements business continuity and disaster recovery strategies and solutions, including risk assessments, business impact analyses, strategy selection, and documentation of business continuity and disaster recovery procedures. Plans, conducts, and debriefs regular mock-disaster exercises to test the adequacy of existing plans and strategies, updating procedures and plans regularly. Acts as a coordinator for continuity efforts after a disruption event.
This career is part of the Management and Administration cluster Operations Management pathway.
A person in this career:
- Develops disaster recovery plans for physical locations with critical assets such as data centers.
- Tests documented disaster recovery strategies and plans.
- Analyzes impact on, and risk to, essential business functions or information systems to identify acceptable recovery time periods and resource requirements.
- Develops emergency management plans for recovery decision making and communications, continuity of critical departmental processes, or temporary shut-down of non-critical departments to ensure continuity of operation and governance.
- Reviews existing disaster recovery, crisis management, or business continuity plans.
- Establishes, maintains, or tests call trees to ensure appropriate communication during disaster.
- Interprets government regulations and applicable codes to ensure compliance.
- Conducts or oversees contingency plan integration and operation.
- Writes reports to summarize testing activities, including descriptions of goals, planning, scheduling, execution, results, analysis, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Identifies opportunities for strategic improvement or mitigation of business interruption and other risks caused by business, regulatory, or industry-specific change initiatives.