Operates table games. Stands or sits behind table and operates games of chance by dispensing the appropriate number of cards or blocks to players, or operating other gaming equipment. Distributes winnings or collects players' money or chips. May compare the house's hand against players' hands.
This career is part of the Hospitality & Tourism cluster Recreation, Amusements and Attractions pathway.
A person in this career:
- Pays winnings or collects losing bets as established by the rules and procedures of a specific game.
- Stands behind a gaming table and deals the appropriate number of cards to each player.
- Deals cards to house hands, and compares these with players' hands to determine winners, as in black jack.
- Conducts gambling games such as dice, roulette, cards, or keno, following all applicable rules and regulations.
- Exchanges paper currency for playing chips or coins.
- Checks to ensure that all players have placed bets before play begins.
- Starts and controls games and gaming equipment, and announces winning numbers or colors.
- Inspects cards and equipments to be used in games to ensure that they are in good condition.
- Applies rule variations to card games such as poker, in which players bet on the value of their hands.
- Opens and closes cash floats and game tables.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.