Operates or tends equipment, such as cooling and freezing units, refrigerators, batch freezers, and freezing tunnels, to cool or freeze products, food, blood plasma, and chemicals.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Adjusts machine or freezer speed and air intake to obtain desired consistency and amount of product.
- Monitors pressure gauges, ammeters, flowmeters, thermometers, or products, and adjusts controls to maintain specified conditions, such as feed rate, product consistency, temperature, air pressure, and machine speed.
- Records temperatures, amounts of materials processed, or test results on report forms.
- Reads dials and gauges on panel control boards to ascertain temperatures, alkalinities, and densities of mixtures, and turns valves to obtain specified mixtures.
- Corrects machinery malfunctions by performing actions such as removing jams, and informs supervisors of malfunctions as necessary.
- Starts machinery, such as pumps, feeders, or conveyors, and turns valves to heat, admit, or transfer products, refrigerants, or mixes.
- Assembles equipment, and attaches pipes, fittings, or valves, using hand tools.
- Scrapes, dislodges, or breaks excess frost, ice, or frozen product from equipment to prevent accumulation, using hands and hand tools.
- Weighs packages and adjusts freezer air valves or switches on filler heads to obtain specified amounts of product in each container.
- Stirs material with spoons or paddles to mix ingredients or allow even cooling and prevent coagulation.