Diagnoses, treats, and helps prevent children's diseases and injuries.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Examines children regularly to assess their growth and development.
- Treats children who have minor illnesses, acute and chronic health problems, and growth and development concerns.
- Collects, records, and maintains patient information, such as medical history, reports, and examination results.
- Prescribes or administers treatment, therapy, medication, vaccination, and other specialized medical care to treat or prevent illness, disease, or injury in infants and children.
- Examines patients or orders, performs, and interprets diagnostic tests to obtain information on medical condition and determine diagnosis.
- Advises patients, parents or guardians, and community members concerning diet, activity, hygiene, and disease prevention.
- Explains procedures and discusses test results or prescribed treatments with patients and parents or guardians.
- Monitors patients' conditions and progress and reevaluates treatments as necessary.
- Plans and executes medical care programs to aid in the mental and physical growth and development of children and adolescents.
- Directs and coordinates activities of nurses, students, assistants, specialists, therapists, and other medical staff.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.