Directly supervises and coordinates activities of animal husbandry or animal care workers.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Animal Science pathway.
A person in this career:
- Observes animals for signs of illness, injury, or unusual behavior, notifying veterinarians or managers as warranted.
- Monitors animal care, maintenance, breeding, or packing and transfer activities to ensure work is done correctly.
- Trains workers in animal care procedures, maintenance duties, and safety precautions.
- Treats animal illnesses or injuries, following experience or instructions of veterinarians.
- Assigns tasks such as feeding and treatment of animals, and cleaning and maintenance of animal quarters.
- Performs the same animal care duties as subordinates.
- Prepares reports concerning facility activities, employees' time records, and animal treatment.
- Confers with managers to determine production requirements, conditions of equipment and supplies, and work schedules.
- Studies feed, weight, health, genetic, or milk production records to determine feed formulas and rations and breeding schedules.
- Directs and assists workers in maintenance and repair of facilities.