Distributes or processes gas for utility companies and others by controlling compressors to maintain specified pressures on main pipelines.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Power, Structural and Technical Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Monitors transportation and storage of flammable and other potentially dangerous products to ensure that safety guidelines are followed.
- Monitors equipment functioning, observes temperature, level, and flow gauges, and performs regular unit checks to ensure that all equipment is operating as it should.
- Controls operation of compressors, scrubbers, evaporators, and refrigeration equipment to liquefy, compress, or regasify natural gas.
- Starts and shuts down plant equipment.
- Records, reviews, and compiles operations records, test results, and gauge readings such as temperatures, pressures, concentrations, and flows.
- Adjusts temperature, pressure, vacuum, level, flow rate, or transfer of gas to maintain processes at required levels or to correct problems.
- Cleans, maintains, and repairs equipment, using hand tools, or requests that repair and maintenance work be performed.
- Collaborates with other operators to solve unit problems.
- Determines causes of abnormal pressure variances, and makes corrective recommendations, such as installation of pipes to relieve overloading.
- Reads logsheets to determine product demand and disposition, or to detect malfunctions.