Directly supervises and coordinates activities of correctional officers and jailers.
This career is part of the Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security cluster Correction Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Maintains order, discipline, and security within assigned areas in accordance with relevant rules, regulations, policies, and laws.
- Takes, receives, or checks periodic inmate counts.
- Maintains knowledge of, complies with, and enforces all institutional policies, rules, procedures, and regulations.
- Responds to emergencies, such as escapes.
- Supervises and directs the work of correctional officers to ensure the safe custody, discipline, and welfare of inmates.
- Restrains, secures, or controls offenders, using chemical agents, firearms, or other weapons of force as necessary.
- Resolves problems between inmates.
- Supervises or performs searches of inmates or their quarters to locate contraband items.
- Monitors behavior of subordinates to ensure alert, courteous, and professional behavior toward inmates, parolees, fellow employees, visitors, and the public.
- Completes administrative paperwork or supervises the preparation or maintenance of records, forms, or reports.