Coordinates activities in residential facilities in secondary and college dormitories, group homes, or similar establishments. Orders supplies and determines need for maintenance, repairs, and furnishings. May maintain household records and assign rooms. May assist residents with problem solving or refer them to counseling resources.
This career is part of the Human Services cluster Family and Community Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Enforces rules and regulations to ensure the smooth and orderly operation of dormitory programs.
- Provides emergency first aid and summons medical assistance when necessary.
- Mediates interpersonal problems between residents.
- Makes regular rounds to ensure that residents and areas are safe and secure.
- Observes students to detect and report unusual behavior.
- Communicates with other staff to resolve problems with individual students.
- Collaborates with counselors to develop counseling programs that address the needs of individual students.
- Counsels students in the handling of issues such as family, financial, and educational problems.
- Develops and coordinates educational programs for residents.
- Develops program plans for individuals or assists in plan development.