Teaches courses in biological sciences. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Teaching and Training pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares and delivers lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as molecular biology, marine biology, and botany.
- Prepares materials for laboratory activities and course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Evaluates and grades students' class work, laboratory work, assignments, and papers.
- Maintains student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Supervises students' laboratory work.
- Compiles, administers, and grades examinations, or assigns this work to others.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Initiates, facilitates, and moderates classroom discussions.
- Supervises undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
- Assists students who need extra help with their coursework outside of class.