Plays one or more musical instruments in recital, in accompaniment, or as a member of an orchestra, band, or other musical group.
This career is part of the Arts, A/V Technology and Communication cluster Performing Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Practices musical instrument performances, individually or in rehearsal with other musicians, to master individual pieces of music and to maintain and improve skills.
- Performs before live audiences.
- Specializes in playing a specific family of instruments or a particular type of music.
- Plays musical instruments as soloists, or as members or guest artists of musical groups such as orchestras, ensembles, or bands.
- Plays from memory or by following scores.
- Sight-reads musical parts during rehearsals.
- Auditions for orchestras, bands, or other musical groups.
- Provides the musical background for live shows such as ballets, operas, musical theatre, and cabarets.
- Transposes music to alternate keys, or to fit individual styles or purposes.
- Promotes their own or their group's music by participating in media interviews and other activities.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.