Diagnoses, manages, and treats conditions and diseases of the human eye and visual system. Examines eyes and visual system, diagnoses problems or impairments, prescribes corrective lenses, and provides treatment. May prescribe therapeutic drugs to treat specific eye conditions.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Examines eyes, using observation, instruments and pharmaceutical agents, to determine visual acuity and perception, focus and coordination and to diagnose diseases and other abnormalities such as glaucoma or color blindness.
- Analyzes test results and develops a treatment plan.
- Prescribes, supplies, fits and adjusts eyeglasses, contact lenses and other vision aids.
- Prescribes medications to treat eye diseases if state laws permit.
- Removes foreign bodies from the eye.
- Educates and counsels patients on contact lens care, visual hygiene, lighting arrangements and safety factors.
- Consults with and refers patients to ophthalmologist or other health care practitioner if additional medical treatment is determined necessary.
- Prescribes therapeutic procedures to correct or conserve vision.
- Provides patients undergoing eye surgeries, such as cataract and laser vision correction, with pre- and post-operative care.
- Provides vision therapy and low vision rehabilitation.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.