Directly supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in landscaping or groundskeeping activities. Work may involve reviewing contracts to ascertain service, machine, and workforce requirements; answering inquiries from potential customers regarding methods, material, and price ranges; and preparing estimates according to labor, material, and machine costs.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Plant Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Monitors project activities to ensure that instructions are followed, deadlines are met, and schedules are maintained.
- Establishes and enforces operating procedures and work standards that will ensure adequate performance and personnel safety.
- Inspects completed work to ensure conformance to specifications, standards, and contract requirements.
- Provides workers with assistance in performing duties as necessary to meet deadlines.
- Directs activities of workers who perform duties, such as landscaping, cultivating lawns, or pruning trees and shrubs.
- Confers with other supervisors to coordinate work activities with those of other departments or units.
- Schedules work for crews, depending on work priorities, crew or equipment availability, or weather conditions.
- Directs or performs mixing or application of fertilizers, insecticides, herbicides, or fungicides.
- Directs or assists workers engaged in the maintenance or repair of equipment, such as power tools or motorized equipment.
- Performs administrative duties, such as authorizing leaves or processing time sheets.