Applies hard tile, marble, and wood tile to walls, floors, ceilings, and roof decks.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Cuts and shapes tile to fit around obstacles and into odd spaces and corners, using hand and power cutting tools.
- Lays and sets mosaic tiles to create decorative wall, mural, and floor designs.
- Aligns and straightens tile using levels, squares, and straightedges.
- Determines and implements the best layout to achieve a desired pattern.
- Measures and marks surfaces to be tiled, following blueprints.
- Finishes and dresses the joints and wipes excess grout from between tiles, using damp sponge.
- Mixes, applies, and spreads plaster, concrete, mortar, cement, mastic, glue or other adhesives to form a bed for the tiles, using brush, trowel and screed.
- Cuts, surfaces, polishes, and installs marble and granite or installs pre-cast terrazzo, granite or marble units.
- Applies mortar to tile back, positions the tile, and presses or taps with trowel handle to affix tile to base.
- Levels concrete and allows to dry.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.