Provides medical care related to pregnancy or childbirth and diagnoses, treats, and helps prevent diseases of women, particularly those affecting the reproductive system. May also provide general medical care to women.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Collects, records, and maintains patient information, such as medical histories, reports, and examination results.
- Treats diseases of female organs.
- Cares for and treats women during prenatal, natal and post-natal periods.
- Prescribes or administers therapy, medication, and other specialized medical care to treat or prevent illness, disease, or injury.
- Performs cesarean sections or other surgical procedures as needed to preserve patients' health and deliver babies safely.
- Analyzes records, reports, test results, or examination information to diagnose medical condition of patient.
- Explains procedures and discusses test results or prescribed treatments with patients.
- Monitors patients' condition and progress and re-evaluates treatments as necessary.
- Advises patients and community members concerning diet, activity, hygiene, and disease prevention.
- Directs and coordinates activities of nurses, students, assistants, specialists, therapists, and other medical staff.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.