Researches and studies cellular molecules and organelles to understand cell function and organization.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Plant Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Maintains accurate laboratory records and data.
- Designs molecular or cellular laboratory experiments, oversees their execution, and interprets results.
- Conducts research on cell organization and function, including mechanisms of gene expression, cellular bioinformatics, cell signaling, or cell differentiation.
- Instructs undergraduate and graduate students within the areas of cellular or molecular biology.
- Compiles and analyzes molecular or cellular experimental data and adjusts experimental designs as necessary.
- Prepares reports, manuscripts, and meeting presentations.
- Supervises technical personnel and postdoctoral research fellows.
- Directs, coordinates, organizes, or prioritizes biological laboratory activities.
- Performs laboratory procedures following protocols including deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) sequencing, cloning and extraction, ribonucleic acid (RNA) purification, or gel electrophoresis.
- Develops assays that monitor cell characteristics.