Teaches courses in geography. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Teaching and Training pathway.
A person in this career:
- Conducts research in a particular field of knowledge and publishes findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
- Prepares and delivers lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as urbanization, environmental systems, and cultural geography.
- Supervises undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Prepares course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Evaluates and grades students' class work, assignments, and papers.
- Compiles, administers, and grades examinations, or assigns this work to others.
- Plans, evaluates, and revises curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.
- Maintains student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Writes grant proposals to procure external research funding.