Operates computer-controlled machines or robots to perform one or more machine functions on metal or plastic work pieces.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Measures dimensions of finished workpieces to ensure conformance to specifications, using precision measuring instruments, templates, and fixtures.
- Mounts, installs, aligns, and secures tools, attachments, fixtures, and workpieces on machines, using hand tools and precision measuring instruments.
- Stops machines to remove finished workpieces or to change tooling, setup, or workpiece placement, according to required machining sequences.
- Transfers commands from servers to computer numerical control (CNC) modules, using computer network links.
- Checks to ensure that workpieces are properly lubricated and cooled during machine operation.
- Inserts control instructions into machine control units to start operation.
- Sets up and operates computer-controlled machines or robots to perform one or more machine functions on metal or plastic workpieces.
- Reviews program specifications or blueprints to determine and set machine operations and sequencing, finished workpiece dimensions, or numerical control sequences.
- Listens to machines during operation to detect sounds such as those made by dull cutting tools or excessive vibration and adjusts machines to compensate for problems.
- Removes and replaces dull cutting tools.