Purchases farm products either for further processing or resale.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Animal Science pathway, Food Products and Processing Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Purchases, for further processing or for resale, farm products such as milk, grains, or Christmas trees.
- Arranges for processing or resale of purchased products.
- Negotiates contracts with farmers for the production or purchase of farm products.
- Arranges for transportation or storage of purchased products.
- Maintains records of business transactions and product inventories, reporting data to companies or government agencies as necessary.
- Reviews orders to determine product types and quantities required to meet demand.
- Examines or tests crops or products to estimate their value, determine their grade, or locate any evidence of disease or insect damage.
- Coordinates or directs activities of workers engaged in cutting, transporting, storing, or milling products and maintaining records.
- Sells supplies, such as seed, feed, fertilizers, or insecticides, arranging for loans or financing as necessary.
- Advises farm groups or growers on land preparation or livestock care techniques that will maximize the quantity and quality of production.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.