Studies the chemical composition or physical principles of living cells and organisms, their electrical and mechanical energy, and related phenomena. May conduct research to further understanding of the complex chemical combinations and reactions involved in metabolism, reproduction, growth, and heredity. May determine the effects of foods, drugs, serums, hormones, and other substances on tissues and vital processes of living organisms.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Plant Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Studies physical principles of living cells or organisms and their electrical or mechanical energy, applying methods and knowledge of mathematics, physics, chemistry, or biology.
- Shares research findings by writing scientific articles or by making presentations at scientific conferences.
- Prepares reports or recommendations, based upon research outcomes.
- Teaches or advises undergraduate or graduate students or supervises their research.
- Manages laboratory teams or monitors the quality of a team's work.
- Isolates, analyzes, or synthesizes vitamins, hormones, allergens, minerals, or enzymes and determines their effects on body functions.
- Determines the three-dimensional structure of biological macromolecules.
- Develops new methods to study the mechanisms of biological processes.
- Studies the mutations in organisms that lead to cancer or other diseases.
- Studies the chemistry of living processes, such as cell development, breathing and digestion, or living energy changes, such as growth, aging, or death.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.