Performs medical tests in a laboratory environment for use in the treatment and diagnosis of diseases in animals. Prepares vaccines and serums for prevention of diseases. Prepares tissue samples, takes blood samples, and executes laboratory tests, such as urinalysis and blood counts. Cleans and sterilizes instruments and materials and maintains equipment and machines. May assist a veterinarian during surgery.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Cares for and monitors the condition of animals recovering from surgery.
- Maintains controlled drug inventory and related log books.
- Administers anesthesia to animals, under the direction of a veterinarian, and monitors animals' responses to anesthetics so that dosages can be adjusted.
- Restrains animals during exams or procedures.
- Administers emergency first aid, such as performing emergency resuscitation or other life saving procedures.
- Observes the behavior and condition of animals and monitors their clinical symptoms.
- Performs laboratory tests on blood, urine, or feces, such as urinalyses or blood counts, to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health problems.
- Prepares and administers medications, vaccines, serums, or treatments, as prescribed by veterinarians.
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments, equipment, or materials.
- Collects, prepares, and labels samples for laboratory testing, culture, or microscopic examination.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.