Operates and tends furnaces, such as gas, oil, coal, electric-arc or electric induction, open-hearth, or oxygen furnaces, to melt and refine metal before casting or to produce specified types of steel.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Draws smelted metal samples from furnaces or kettles for analysis, and calculates types and amounts of materials needed to ensure that materials meet specifications.
- Drains, transfers, or removes molten metal from furnaces, and places it into molds, using hoists, pumps, or ladles.
- Records production data, and maintains production logs.
- Operates controls to move or discharge metal workpieces from furnaces.
- Weighs materials to be charged into furnaces, using scales.
- Regulates supplies of fuel and air, or controls flow of electric current and water coolant to heat furnaces and adjusts temperatures.
- Inspects furnaces and equipment to locate defects and wear.
- Observes air and temperature gauges or metal color and fluidity, and turns fuel valves or adjusts controls to maintain required temperatures.
- Observes operations inside furnaces, using television screens, to ensure that problems do not occur.
- Removes impurities from the surface of molten metal, using strainers.