Diagnoses, treats, and help prevents disorders of the mind.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prescribes, directs, or administers psychotherapeutic treatments or medications to treat mental, emotional, or behavioral disorders.
- Gathers and maintains patient information and records, including social or medical history obtained from patients, relatives, or other professionals.
- Designs individualized care plans, using a variety of treatments.
- Collaborates with physicians, psychologists, social workers, psychiatric nurses, or other professionals to discuss treatment plans and progress.
- Analyzes and evaluates patient data or test findings to diagnose nature or extent of mental disorder.
- Examines or conducts laboratory or diagnostic tests on patients to provide information on general physical condition or mental disorder.
- Counsels outpatients or other patients during office visits.
- Advises or informs guardians, relatives, or significant others of patients' conditions or treatment.
- Teaches, takes continuing education classes, attends conferences or seminars, or conducts research and publishes findings to increase understanding of mental, emotional, or behavioral states or disorders.
- Reviews and evaluates treatment procedures and outcomes of other psychiatrists or medical professionals.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.