Serves food to individuals outside of a restaurant environment, such as in hotel rooms, hospital rooms, residential care facilities, or cars.
This career is part of the Hospitality & Tourism cluster Restaurants, Food and Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Examines trays to ensure that they contain required items.
- Places food servings on plates or trays according to orders or instructions.
- Monitors food distribution, ensuring that meals are delivered to the correct recipients and that guidelines, such as those for special diets, are followed.
- Loads trays with accessories such as eating utensils, napkins, or condiments.
- Cleans or sterilizes dishes, kitchen utensils, equipment, or facilities.
- Monitors food preparation or serving techniques to ensure that proper procedures are followed.
- Takes food orders and relays orders to kitchens or serving counters so they can be filled.
- Carries food, silverware, or linen on trays or uses carts to carry trays.
- Determines where patients or patrons would like to eat their meals and helps them get situated.
- Prepares food items, such as sandwiches, salads, soups, or beverages.