Cuts, grinds, and polishes eyeglasses, contact lenses, or other precision optical elements. Assemble and mount lenses into frames or process other optical elements.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production/Process Technology pathway.
A person in this career:
- Mounts and secures lens blanks or optical lenses in holding tools or chucks of cutting, polishing, grinding, or coating machines.
- Inspects lens blanks to detect flaws, verify smoothness of surface, and ensure thickness of coating on lenses.
- Sets up machines to polish, bevel, edge, or grind lenses, flats, blanks, or other precision optical elements.
- Inspects, weighs, and measures mounted or unmounted lenses after completion to verify alignment and conformance to specifications, using precision instruments.
- Shapes lenses appropriately so that they can be inserted into frames.
- Cleans finished lenses and eyeglasses, using cloths and solvents.
- Mounts, secures, and aligns finished lenses in frames or optical assemblies, using precision hand tools.
- Examines prescriptions, work orders, or broken or used eyeglasses to determine specifications for lenses, contact lenses, or other optical elements.
- Adjusts lenses and frames to correct alignment.
- Selects lens blanks, molds, tools, and polishing or grinding wheels, according to production specifications.