Assists judges in court or by conducting research or preparing legal documents.
This career is part of the Government and Public Administration cluster Legal Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Researches laws, court decisions, documents, opinions, briefs, or other information related to cases before the court.
- Confers with judges concerning legal questions, construction of documents, or granting of orders.
- Prepares briefs, legal memoranda, or statements of issues involved in cases, including appropriate suggestions or recommendations.
- Drafts or proofreads judicial opinions, decisions, or citations.
- Reviews complaints, petitions, motions, or pleadings that have been filed to determine issues involved or basis for relief.
- Keeps abreast of changes in the law and informs judges when cases are affected by such changes.
- Attends court sessions to hear oral arguments or record necessary case information.
- Verifies that all files, complaints, or other papers are available and in the proper order.
- Reviews dockets of pending litigation to ensure adequate progress.
- Responds to questions from judicial officers or court staff on general legal issues.