Provides barbering services, such as cutting, trimming, shampooing, and styling hair, trimming beards, or giving shaves.
This career is part of the Human Services cluster Personal Care Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Cleans and sterilizes scissors, combs, clippers, and other instruments.
- Cuts and trims hair according to clients' instructions or current hairstyles, using clippers, combs, hand-held blow driers, and scissors.
- Drapes and pins protective cloths around customers' shoulders.
- Questions patrons regarding desired services and haircut styles.
- Cleans work stations and sweep floors.
- Records services provided on cashiers' tickets or receives payment from customers.
- Orders supplies.
- Shapes and trims beards and moustaches, using scissors.
- Stays informed of the latest styles and hair care techniques.
- Suggests treatments to alleviate hair problems.